I mentioned a few days ago that chokecherry was a joy to turn. This is what I was working on: just a little natural edge bowl with a round bottom hence the “rocker” name. (Bowls like this are sometimes called “banana” bowls.)
5 1/4″ long, 3 1/2″ wide, and 1 3/4″ high. Danish oil finish.
Here’s another bowl from that charred piece of green ash. This one is thinner than the last one. 7 1/4″ long, 5″ wide, and 1 7/8″ tall. Danish oil finish.
…is a delight to turn. Ribbons of shavings flying off my gouge.
A natural-edge boxelder bowl–it still needs to be sanded and have a finish applied, but it’s still pretty moist, so I’m going to let it season a bit first. And yes, that is moss on the bark.
I have a few more pieces of this mossy stuff. Should be fun!
I have a couple of green ash crotch pieces in my woodpile, so I sliced them open a couple of days ago to see what the figuring was like. Here’s the first piece, mounted on the lathe. Step one is to flatten what’s going to be the bottom and turn either a tenon or a recess on the bottom for the chuck to grip once you get the basic outside shape made.
Then you start peeling away the shavings, forming the outside. On an irregular piece like this, you have to slow the lathe down, because the wood is unbalanced. Turn it too fast, and things start vibrating, which is a kind of excitement I don’t need. This shot shows the piece from the headstock end of the lathe, which gives you an idea of the overall orientation of the trunk and branches on this. (This tree was standing dead, and all of the bark had fallen off. The wood itself was still perfectly sound, though.)
After getting the outside shape defined, I sanded it to 400 grit, and then flipped it over and started hollowing it out. After getting more wood removed, you can start speeding up the lathe, and things begin moving a little faster.
And here’s the finished bowl, sanded inside and out to 400 grit, and finished with two applications of Danish oil. I call it a Heart bowl, because the overall shape is like a heart–more anatomical than Valentine’s Day.
I had a slice of green ash about six inches wide and 14 or so inches long, so I cut it into two squares and then turned a pair of simple bowls from them. One has just my standard Danish oil finish, but the second one developed a crack, so I decided to experiment a bit with it. I gave it a wash with some diluted fountain pen ink (Noodler’s Ink Bernanke Blue, in case you’re wondering), and then Danish oil. The difference is striking.
Here’s the un-tinted bowl.
(By the way, I love the swirl of the grain in this one.)
And here’s the tinted bowl.
The effect wasn’t what I expected. If you look closely you can see some of the blue, in the pores especially. But the overall effect is to mute the gold tones of the un-tinted wood.
I’ll have to experiment some more, perhaps with a less dilute ink wash, or with a finish like wipe-on polyurethane, which doesn’t effect the color as much as Danish oil.
Here’s the finished product from that chunk of charred green ash. I really had no idea whether or not this was going to work–whether the wood was going to be any good, whether the charred edge would hold together–but I’m pleased with the result. I left this one pretty thick, not knowing how the wood would behave, and I kind of like showing off the edge this way. I have a couple more pieces from the log, so I’ll try to make the next one thinner.
7 1/4″ by 5″ by 2 3/4″, Danish oil finish.